SSl stands for Secure Sockets Layer. The name itself indicates that it is for security purpose. Secure Sockets Layer is a standard security technology for establishing an encrypted link between the web server and a browser. Basically Security is important for all kind of websites even if it is a small business. One of the most important components in online business is creating a trusted environment where the customers feel confident in making purchases. SSL certificates create a foundation of trust by establishing a secure connection.
What is an SSL certificate?
SSL is a software that creates encrypted link between the visitor’s browser and web browser. Once this link has been made, any information that you entered in the website becomes encrypted to common hacks. Even if you have a small website which has niche based customers, all will care about their personal information that need to enter on the website. They will easily spot the difference of secured and not secured website. Usually the secured website have HTTPS and Green padlock in their website URL. Suppose the websites doesn’t have these two things, the users will not ready to use this website.
How SSL works?
- The browser attempts to connect to the website secured with SSL. Browser requests the web identify itself.
- Then the web server sends the copy of its SSL certificate including server’s public key
- The browser checks whether to trust the SSL certificate or not. It checks the certificate root against a list of trusted CA.
- If the browser trusts the SSL certificate, it creates, encrypts and sends the private key using server’s public key.
- The web server sends digitally signed acknowledgement to start an encrypted session.
- Finally, encrypted data is shared between the browser and the web server.
Benefits of SSL
There are various reasons to install SSL on your website. Few things were listed below.
- Every users likes to interact with the website which has HTTPS and Green padlock
- It builds trust among the clients for using your website
- Websites having SSL certificate ranks high in search engine result page.
- It secures online exchanges with your website.